The failure to obtain planning permission or comply with the details of permission is commonly known as a ‘planning breach’.

If you have received an enforcement notice or other formal notice from the local planning authority (LPA) in respect of your property, then there is an opportunity to make an appeal in respect of that notice. An enforcement notice will usually be served on the owner of a property (and others) where the LPA considers there has been a breach of planning control and consider it expedient to take action to remedy the breach.

The notice will usually require you to stop doing something, such as removing a building or structure or alter it to make it acceptable.